There are many reasons to join our board of directors…
- Join a team that makes a significant contribution to the cultural life of the city and province.
- Enjoy connecting with readers, writers, and community members.
- Make a meaningful gift of your time and energy.
The Winnipeg International Writers Festival is a charitable not-for-profit organization which plans, funds and produces a week-long annual literary festival, THIN AIR, every September. We also host or collaborate with other groups in off-season events. We are comprised of a small year-round staff, several seasonal contract workers, and a volunteer Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors is legally responsible for the governance of the Winnipeg International Writers Festival. Directors are integral to the success of THIN AIR and other Festival initiatives, and work cooperatively and respectfully with staff to accomplish those goals. As a Director, you can expect to contribute a few hours a month toward Board-related duties, including attending meetings and events. The Board of Directors is a governing and working board, and is not involved in a programming capacity.
As a member of the Board of Directors, you receive:
- the opportunity to interact with a network of people committed to the literary and cultural vitality of the city and broader community
- the satisfaction of contributing your talents to the on-going success of a nationally-recognized literary festival
- the opportunity to develop a variety of new skills
Directors do not receive honoraria, special programming consideration, or the use of staff for personal projects.
As a member of the Board of Directors, you agree:
- to attend and participate in a minimum of four Board meetings per year
- whenever possible to attend Festival events, including THIN AIR and other performances throughout the year
- to support fundraising efforts of the Winnipeg International Writers Festival
- to serve as an ambassador for the Winnipeg International Writers Festival, promoting the organization and its events whenever you have the opportunity
As a not-for-profit corporation, the Winnipeg International Writers Festival is required by law to be governed by a Board of Directors. To meet their legal responsibilities, members of the Board of Directors should:
- act reasonably, prudently, sagaciously, and within the law
- attend and participate in Board meetings
- carry out assigned duties with candor, honesty, and integrity
- ask questions and ensure they are satisfactorily addressed
- ensure Board accountability for tasks assumed by individuals or committees
Directors are expected to carry out duties honestly, skillfully, and diligently, acting at all times in the best interests of the organization. Directors also have a moral responsibility to value the Winnipeg International Writers Festival and to believe in its relevance and importance to the broader community. By choosing to serve on the Board of Directors, you indicate your commitment to supporting contemporary literary and cultural activity..